Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Diaper-Free After 11 Years

Anyone who knows me, or has heard me gripe about it, knows that I HATE potty training (who doesn't?). I also admit that I am terrible at it. You would think that after doing it three times already, that I'd have it down. However, I'm not consistant, I get lazy, and find it easier to tote around a diapered kid than run from restroom to restroom (my germ-a-phobia also plays in here). Landon has been asking/begging to use the potty for about 6 months now. I'd sit him on the potty and he'd never produce anything. After about 20 times of doing nothing, I got lazy and started telling him "no" (really, what mom would discourage potty training - me). We were headed to California in July and as it got closer I didn't want to deal with a newly potty trained kid across Nevada. I kept telling myself (because, afterall, potty training is as much for me as it is for the kid) that when we got home from California, I would potty train Landon. I gave a half-hearted effort in August and let him wear "big boy underwear" for a couple of days, but all I got from it was a lot of wetting accidents. I got lazy and feeling house-bound, and let it go. He would ask to sit on the potty every now and then, but never produce a thing! He just wasn't getting it and I was in denial.

Last week I was innocently reading a book and Landon came up to me and told me that he needed to go potty. My first thought was, "oh, come on, we both know what a waste of time this is, and I'm trying to read." But, I figured that I should be supportive and at least let him sit on the potty for the 101st time. Standing there, waiting for him to decide to get down, he says, "I'm doing it!" I look down, and holy cow, he WAS doing it! I was shocked. We celebrated, high-fived, and praised galore. Since then he has wanted to go potty every ten minutes. So much for being lazy. Where are the diapers when I need them? I decided that there was no going back now that he has the hang of it - big boy underwear from here on out - NO MORE DIAPERS! It has only been 4 days and he has had NO wetting accidents, has been dry all night, and insists on going to the potty all by himself with no potty seat and no help. Okay. (We did have a #2 incident on Sunday, but I'll spare the details.)

So, for the first time in 11 years, I have no one in diapers and I have potty trained my last person.

8 comments:

Robyn said...

Way to go Landon and Steph!!!! You just got a pay raise, no more BUYING diapers either. Yahoo.

Laurel C. said...

I am so jealous! With two kids in diapers, I think I change about 17 diapers a day. I need to toilet train BOTH of my kids just to get us away from that diaper pail! You are in a good place.

Michelle and Jason said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have been trying with Tyler and he stays dry but still will not go #2 in the potty. I am with you though potty training stinks!

Natalie said...

Oh no! This is not good. Stephanie is the one I count on to have an extra diaper or wipe when I need it. Now I really have to pack my diaper bag well when we go to Grandma's and Grandpa's. But really...that is great!! I was shocked when I saw that Landon can even go all by himself and it was only day 2!! I love the grin on his face in those pictures.

Tara said...

Yahoo!!! I have one more and I'm not even sure what to do with a boy. Can I send him your way when it's time? I am a FIRM believer that they potty train when THEY are ready and not when mom is. Someone can think their kid is "trained" at 18 months, but when they are constantly reminding them or helping them undress, it's really just "conditioning" them. When they really "get it", it seriously isn't a big deal! I had to remind myself of that with Morgan. I didn't think she'd ever be potty trained at one point, 'cause I'm like you...although I'll change the "lazy" to BUSY! I wasn't willing to follow my kid all around the house and stay cooped up for days at a time. They ALL learn it eventually...they're not gonna go to college in diapers (my mom used to tell me).
Anyway...enough of my soap box...
CONGRATS!!!!

Stephanie said...

I hear ya', Tara. I had someone tell me the other day that he and his brother were both potty trained before they were 1 - yah right! Just because you can go in the potty, does not mean you are potty trained. Dr. Phil claims he can "potty train" a kid in a day. But if you see what he does, it's just getting the kid to pee in the potty. There's more to it than that. It has been a week and so far, so good with Landon.

Anonymous said...

Whoa Steph commenting on your blog at 5 in the AM?!? Should have called me, I was still up. Anyway I think a second, follow up, post to this is in order!

Leon Visnaw said...

Come on admit it, Landon trained himself ;)