I "inherited" (now, I'm not trying to stir up contention among my siblings in ANY way) this donut maker from my parents, and remember many Family Home Evening treats being made with it. As a kid I remember that the donuts produced were not quite like other donuts from a bakery or the store, but they were good in their own way. Back then not all of the donuts made it out successfully. There was a high casualty rate, creating a sizeable scrap pile. But, 30 years later, and with an invention called "non-stick spray", we managed to improve the donut success rate and ended up with these:Sunday, February 1, 2009
A Childhood Memory
Do you ever come across a smell that takes you back to when you were a child? Well, for me it was old, stale cooking oil heating up. Usually I associate this smell with an old waffle iron heating up on a Saturday morning, but this is a slightly different smell (although, pretty much the same). The smell I'm referring to came from this:
I "inherited" (now, I'm not trying to stir up contention among my siblings in ANY way) this donut maker from my parents, and remember many Family Home Evening treats being made with it. As a kid I remember that the donuts produced were not quite like other donuts from a bakery or the store, but they were good in their own way. Back then not all of the donuts made it out successfully. There was a high casualty rate, creating a sizeable scrap pile. But, 30 years later, and with an invention called "non-stick spray", we managed to improve the donut success rate and ended up with these:
I "inherited" (now, I'm not trying to stir up contention among my siblings in ANY way) this donut maker from my parents, and remember many Family Home Evening treats being made with it. As a kid I remember that the donuts produced were not quite like other donuts from a bakery or the store, but they were good in their own way. Back then not all of the donuts made it out successfully. There was a high casualty rate, creating a sizeable scrap pile. But, 30 years later, and with an invention called "non-stick spray", we managed to improve the donut success rate and ended up with these:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







7 comments:
Yum and Yum! It's late and a treat sure sounds good right now.
Cool! I've never seen one of those! Do they still make 'em? That's pretty cool! They look yummy, too!
Tara, yes I have found similar ones online. They are basically like a waffle iron, just donut shapes. I just made up a cake mix and poured it into the bottom and a batch was done in 2-3 minutes. A cake mix did about 4 batches, so about 24 donuts. I know, more information than you asked for - sorry.
Here is a link to one I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Blinq-BlinQ-Donut-Factory/dp/B001L4IHRC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233630472&sr=8-1
So THAT'S where the donut maker went! HEY! I guess Mom likes you best.
Yes, you are right... your donuts look a lot better than anything we made in it from 1977 to 1987! Those donuts look yummy! I can't believe that ol' thing still works!
I made quite a killing on road-side bake sales with that bad boy. Yes, many memories. I'm glad you are making the memories with your children. I guess someone had to inherit it....right? :)
Holy Cow! Those are some beautiful donuts!! I didn't even know there was such a machine. Where is that on New Year's Eve? I'm getting my hopes up. . .:)
Post a Comment