Monday, March 28, 2011

My Little Scout That Isn't So Little Anymore

Jayden informed me that this was his last time going to "Little Scouts". But, he did say he'd come visit when they have races - Pinewood Derby, Raingutter Regatta, Space Derby. I know he's going to miss Cub Scouts and will enjoy being one of the "big boys" now.Jayden earned his Arrow of Light which meant he got to sit front and center through a special Scout ceremony. On the way there he told me that he hoped they didn't do the face painting ceremony. He thought that would be embarrassing. Well, sorry, Jayden - face painting it is. He was a good sport about it and you'd never know that he was dying a bit inside. As soon as the meeting was over, he was in the restroom scrubbing his face.
Jayden has enjoyed Cub Scouts and has done the basic requirement. However, in January he informed me that he'd like to get his "Heavy Shoulders" Award - something that he had no interest in before. So, we had two months to pound out 8 (or so) pins - not an easy task. But, we can honestly say that he did it. He got some new Scout leaders right about this time and they were super fabulous in passing off some really hard pins. Honestly, we couldn't have done it without them. That's why I had to include this picture with Bro. Mikkelsen - thanks for all the work you, and other leaders, have done to help Jayden acheive this award.
One tradition in Cub Scouts is the rite of passage into Boy Scouts of jumping over the fire. The 11 year-old Scout leader stands on the other side, and the Scout jumps over the fire into Boy Scouts. Jayden has seen this done countless times as older boys have leaped over the fire. So, Jayden, in true character, decided to do it a bit differently - always the ham.



Congratulations, Jayden!


Now, on to "Big Scouts".

4 comments:

Laurel C. said...

What a crazy kid... loved Jayden in the video.

Cub Scouts end at age 11? I thought it was age 12. Or do you graduate when you've passed off everything?

Stephanie said...

Laurel - in the church they end Cub Scouts at age 11. In the rest of the world, you are a Webelos for 2 years until you are 12. I really don't know why the LDS church has the boys do Webelos in 1 year and start Boy Scouts a year early, but it's hard to earn all the pins in half the time. That's why earning your "Heavy Shoulders" award is such a big deal - all 20 pins in a year rather than in 2 years. Maybe I could Google it and find the answer. Hmm.

Laurel C. said...

I have a lot to learn in 3 years before Ethan hits Cub Scouts!

Natalie said...

I know nothing about this "Heavy Shoulders" thing and I have a child in Cub Scouts. Maybe I'll learn about it when he's in Webelos. Way cool, Jayden!!