Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mission Call

My parents are going on a mission. Yes, it's true. I have to come to grips with this sooner than later. They got their call the week before General Conference, so they got the family together on Saturday for the big reveal. But first, the men and boys got to go to Priesthood Session. This was Jayden's first one, so a picture was in order. So great.
We were kept guessing the whole evening. My parents had a map where we could stick our guesses. I was certain they were going somewhere European.
We Skyped with the Oregon Eddingtons and the Colorado Cunninghams for the big game.
My mom planned a 20 Questions-style game for us to ask questions and make guesses. Oh, it was so hard for her to keep this information to herself, but since my mom had to so much work to reveal the destination, she kept it a mystery until we started guessing.
For the last several months they have been serving as Service Missionaries at the Home Canning Center. My dad has joked that they were called to "Fill-the-Beans". Well, as it turns out, they were called to serve in the Philippines - Loag Mission Home! They leave for the MTC on June 11. Despite some of us being nervous for them, they are super excited. I know they will be great.
We'll miss them when they're gone.

5 comments:

Laurel C. said...

I think you summed it up well when you said, "Despite some of us being nervous for them, they are super excited. I know they will be great."

Unknown said...

That is so neat!

Gary said...

I'm glad you are coming to terms with the whole ordeal. We will miss you, but I will replace my homesickness with plenty of shopping. I hear the deals are spectacular! Place your orders now. Oh wait, I guess we should spend some time serving, too.

Love, Mom

Gary said...

Ok, all good things always come to an end. Put a cancel on the shopping...at least for clothes for me. The mission mother called last night. I asked her about buying clothes there. She and I wear the same size clothes. She said she finally found a piece of clothing in here size.....3X! I guess I will be joining the ranks of "Amazon Woman". Dang!

Update: we won't be working in the mission home after all. Pres. Onger wants us to work with the unactives...sloshing through mud and jungle vines. I'm really excited with the change. I want to work more closely with the Philippine people. I've heard they're amazing, humble, and loving people.

Love, Mom

Laurel C. said...

Is this blog out of business? Do you think you'll ever blog again? Do you need me to pay you $3?